The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
As Senior Trade & Investment Officer, you will be expected to independently lead on the airport and rail sectors in West China (nine provinces), including handling metro account management in West China. You will track airport and rail sector developments to build a robust pipeline of UK/ China partnerships in the supply chain.
Your role will cover both trade and investment and you will be expected to lead on the delivery of specific themed sector events and visits to support commercial partnerships. You will also provide research and written briefing for senior government meetings and maintain accurate records in our IT database.
The core focus of the job will be to contribute to the delivery of high value export wins and high quality inward investment for the UK, meeting sector targets. You will do this by undertaking the following activities:
- Building strong relationships with key government departments, industry bodies, and business clients both in China and in the UK.
- Identifying and linking new Chinese opportunities and investment interests with UK capability and strategic needs.
- Promoting UK excellence in these sectors.
- Working in collaboration with partner networks and business associates to overcome business barriers and market access issues.
- Working with teams across the Consulate/ China Network to support senior Ministerial/ VIP visits between the UK and China, including contributing to the design and delivery of high-level visits programmes as well as follow-up activity. You will also work closely with the China-Britain Business Council (CBBC)..
This position is advertised on a fixed-term basis for two (2) years.
What will the jobholder do?
— Deliver strategic trade and investment campaigns:
- Identify and contribute to the development of the sector strategy and manage the delivery of trade and investment sector campaigns in West China.
- Build robust pipelines to deliver against sector targets. Identify and land Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) projects from West China.
- Report on trends and developments in West China and UK markets and key companies in the sector, as well as in the external factors affecting the sector’s operating environment, and use this information to support delivery of these campaigns.
- Organise input of information to the DIT website to raise awareness of China opportunities to ITAs, DIT specialists, Investment Organisations, LEPs, etc, and sign-posting to CBBC and other services where appropriate.
— Effective relationship management:
- Within a framework agreed with your line manager, identify and build relationships with key companies and organisations in West China and the UK, including intermediaries, trade associations, government departments, and individual companies in order to understand their business intentions and needs.
- Foster long-term, working level government-to-government contacts and facilitate high level engagement (e.g., Consul-General, Director General DIT) with more complex/ senior relationships as appropriate.
- Work across wider network, including Prosperity team, Outreach, Science and Innovation (SIN), CBBC, Trade Associations, and DAs to improve business matching and identification of new business leads.
— High impact visits and events:
- Advise on the design and management of high-level visits and events that contribute to sector targets and address business environment and market access issues. Undertake follow-up activity.
- Plan and manage practical and logistical aspects of important visit programmes (by Chinese companies to the UK and UK companies to China) that contribute to sector targets. Work with CBBC and other networks where appropriate. Provide timely, high-quality briefing and reports.
— Active contribution to success of CBBC outsourcing:
- Facilitate knowledge transfer and introductions to CBBC to support them in achieving their targets. Commission CBBC input to HVO-related and other industry campaigns, as well as coordination of debriefing and two-way information sharing.
- Manage and lead the team to deliver on agreed priorities while maintaining a close working relationship with sector team members in other posts, other teams, and CBBC.
— Knowledge and skills development: Commit to continual learning of self and team, making full use of on the job opportunities to deepen sector knowledge and understanding of the UK capability and UK/ China business environment, as well as formal training for skills and personal competences most relevant to the job.
Essential qualifications and experience
- Minimum of 2 years of full time working experience.
- A diplomatic, tactful manner when dealing with contacts and colleagues.
- Good organisation skills, positive approach to teamwork, and a pro-active attitude.
- Good administrative and IT skills (e.g. Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Fluent in English and Chinese, both written and spoken.
- Degree level qualification or equivalent.
- Candidates must also be available for occasional domestic/ international travel.
Desirable qualifications and experience
- Previous experience of working within or closely related to the airport and transport industries in the UK and/ or China.
- Sound understanding of the airport, airline services, rail sector, including drivers and barriers to trade and investment and key players.
- Strong existing network of contacts with leading industry players within the transport sector, and experience of managing relations with key clients and stakeholders.
- Commercial awareness and understanding, including ability to identify companies with a potential/ interest to grow.
Seeing the Big Picture, Collaborating and Partnering, Achieving Commercial Outcomes, Delivering at Pace
7 November 2017
Type of Position
Full-time, Fixed term, with possibility of renewal
All applications must be received before 11:55PM (China Standard Time) on 07 November 2017.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested. We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
To those applicants not short-listed, we extend our appreciation for considering the British Government as a potential employer.
For the full recruitment advertisement and way of application, please paste this address to your browser, https://fco.tal.net/vx/appcentre-ext/brand-2/candidate/so/pm/4/pl/1/opp/4559-CQ-Senior-Trade-Investment-Officer-Airport-and-Transport-B3-L/en-GB