The role of the Regional Outreach Officer (Yunnan) is to deepen co-operation between the UK, Yunnan, and the wider region. S/he will build links between UK and Yunnan governments, companies, media, educational institutions, and people; increase the UK’s understanding of political, economic, and social issues in Yunnan; and generate awareness in Yunnan of UK strengths. The UK government, business, educational, and cultural institutions are all extremely interested in developing their understanding and engagement with key Chinese provinces, including Yunnan. This will therefore be a demanding and high profile role, and the job holder will have the opportunity to interact with senior influential UK and Yunnan figures from a broad range of different backgrounds.
The successful candidate will be able to work independently and proactively, seeking out and developing opportunities rather than being directed to them. They will also need strong stakeholder management and communication skills (in both English and Mandarin Chinese) to build a wide network within Yunnan. They will need to understand and process a large amount of diverse information in order to be effective on behalf of other sections and keep the Consulate-General well-informed of developments in Kunming and Yunnan.
The successful candidate will be based in Chongqing and will report directly to the Outreach team lead in Chongqing. S/he will also supervise and line manage the B3(L) Regional Outreach Officer for Guizhou.
The successful candidate will also identify and lead on projects in Yunnan funded by the Prosperity Fund, China Network Fund (Bilateral Fund) and Chevening Alumni Fund, as well as manage travel and entertainment budget.
This position is advertised on a fixed-term basis for one (1) year.
The jobholder will have the following roles and responsibilities:
— Strengthen co-operation between the UK and Yunnan in areas of priority interest to the UK:
- Identifying, researching, and facilitating opportunities for UK-Yunnan co-operation in line with UK objectives and in a wide range of areas, including commercial, climate change and science & innovation, and education.
- Organising events in line with regional outreach objectives, leveraging resources across the network to deliver impact for the British Government.
- Bidding for project money from relevant British Government funds in support of these aims and acting as project lead for its duration.
- Promoting the Chevening Scholarship scheme in Yunnan and maintaining contacts with alumni of the programme.
— UK government has access to a wide range of senior influential figures in Yunnan, understand Yunnan better, and are able to work more effectively to achieve their objectives:
- Building a wide range of contacts in the local government, media, business, academic and NGO communities of Yunnan.
- Arranging and supporting visits to Yunnan by BCG Chongqing staff, UK companies and visiting UK officials.
— Improved understanding of key developments in Yunnan for the China Network:
- Reporting back to BCG Chongqing and the China Network on relevant political, economic and commercial developments in Yunnan.
- Contribute to wider reporting across Southwest China as above.
— Management/ corporate services:
- Supervise and line manage the B3 Regional Outreach Officer for Guizhou.
- Provide additional support to Guizhou outreach when necessary.
- Experience in project management.
- Excellent communication skills orally and in writing, both in English and Mandarin.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Knowledge of Yunnan and experience with local business and/or government will be highly desirable.
- Expertise and relevant experience in intellectural property.
We are an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce, and valuing difference.
We offer a competitive package, which includes basic salary, good leave entitlement, and insurance plan, etc. The gross starting salary (before all deductions) for this position is RMB 24,656/ month for Chinese Nationals and an abated monthly salary of RMB 32,168/ month for British Nationals and spouses/ partners (all nationalities) of diplomats who are ‘W’ (diplomatic) visa holders and meet passport criteria.
We also offer excellent development opportunities and a 22-day annual leave entitlement in pro rata. Conditioned working hours is 35 hours/ week from Monday to Friday and flexible working can be arranged upon personal needs. For more details on our Total Rewards Package, please visit our website http://www.gov.uk/government/world/china.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy Beijing is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Chinese employment law.
Interviews are expected to be held on the week of 12 December 2016. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted regarding the next phase of the selection process.
To those applicants not short-listed, we extend our appreciation for considering the British Government as a potential employer.