Wales Government Office, Chongqing invite applications for the post of senior Wales Affairs Officer in Chongqing. Reporting to the Head of Wales Government Office, the jobholder will work within Wales Government office team. This post offers an exciting opportunity to deliver tangible economic benefits to Wales while working in the dynamic Chinese business environment. The primary purpose of the post is to manage the Welsh Government’s approach to identifying, developing and delivering new foreign direct investment and trade opportunities in Southwest China. The post requires the generation and pursuit of FDI target lists and delivery of marketing propositions. Success will be measured through the identification of quality leads, integration into productive business networks, visits of businesses to Wales and securing inward investment projects and trade deals. Regular engagement with senior staff in corporation, intermediaries and wider networks will be required, with the post holder developing high level contacts across the key markets. Establishment of close working relationship with Department for International Trade will be particularly important. The post will include a representational role at key events to further develop the profile of Wales and support the delivery of inward investment and trade opportunities. The job holder will support the Head of Wales Government office in coordinating the team work in fulfilling the business plan for the post, as well as sometimes, to provide support in administrative work for the daily operation.
In addition, please note that the jobholder will be expected to be able to travel within South West China and be flexible enough to undertake various extra tasks as working within a small and efficient team. The job also offers occasional opportunities to travel to Wales UK.
Duties and Responsibilities:-
- Develop a thorough understanding of the business issues, drivers and trends in SW China. Understand how these factors impact upon inward investment and trade markets, the opportunities offered and approach needed to achieve success;
- Collaborate with the Head of Wales Government office and work closely with colleagues in ESNR, International Relations and other parts of the Welsh Government, to help develop and deliver a trade and investment strategy for SW China. This includes ensuring that key stakeholders such as the Wales-based sector teams and the Trade and Investment Team in ESNR are fully engaged in the development and delivery phases;
- Identify and help deliver new inward investment projects to Wales. Develop an evidence-based approach to potential inward investment companies and deliver an engagement strategy to develop a relationship with such companies;
- Work with trade development colleagues to help deliver trade missions;
- Participate in identification and delivery of business opportunities and specific collaborative projects between Chongqing and Wales, and in South West China where appropriate, in the fields of trade, investment, education and tourism;
- Assist in identification and delivery of collaborative projects between Wales and Chongqing in the disciplines of public health, science & innovation, and arts & culture;
- Provide general support for head of office in overall management of the Chongqing office, including some aspects of office administration and management;
- Occasional line management of interns or part-time staff;
- Occasionally deputise for Head of Office.
Personal Qualities required:-
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate:
- Integrity and honesty;
- Good communication and presentational skills;
- Proven ability to make effective professional contacts and networking skills;
- Proven ability to work both independently and as part of the Wales Government Office team;
- Good computer skills (Word, Excel, Access, Power Point and Outlook);
- Ability to manage resources and budgets;
Job Specific Criteria:-
- Ability to work with a range of stakeholders in a senior business development role;
- Ability to form strong relationship with companies at a senior level and to demonstrate the ability to communicate, network and influence such decision makers;
- Knowledge of Chinese economy and its political structures and ability to develop knowledge quickly.
Personal Qualities that would be advantageous:-
Knowledge of Wales UK and the Wales-China relationship is desirable, but not essential.
Hours of work:-
0900-1700 Monday-Friday, flexible working hours is applicable (the job holder may be required to work longer hours during busy period or official visits for which time of lieu will be given).
Starting salary will be at the minimum of the scale 239,772 RMB before tax (annually). The post offers 30 days annual leave in addition to PRC public holidays (In line with those taken by FCO). Social and housing insurances are also paid inline with the FAS employment agreement. This is a fixed term contract for a period of 2 years.
All applications for this vacancy should be sent by email to Karen Xing at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5pm 9 December 2016. Applicants must send in a supporting statement max 1500 words in English, stating their reasons for applying for the job, together with, a recent photograph and an up-to-date C.V, including reference details. Only applications in English will be considered.
Only those invited to interview will receive a reply to their application. Those candidates invited to interview will be notified by email and interviews will take place sometime in the following weeks at the Wales Government office in Chongqing.
Wales Government Office, Chongqing
Oriental Metropolitan Plaza
Tel: +86 23 6332 0400
Wales Government Office, Chongqing is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and Diversity. We welcome applications from all sectors of the community regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity and religion. Each application will be considered carefully.