The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Department for International Trade roles)
Department for International Trade (DIT)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
The jobholder will support exports from the UK to Southwest China across the creative, education, food and consumer sectors, and will work with Chinese industry to encourage investment into the UK at an exciting and crucial time for UK trade policy.
The jobholder will also provide administrative support in the development of clear strategies, carry out research, develop a network of business contacts, and help organise events that will showcase the UK.
This position is advertised on a fixed-term basis for one (1) year.
— Support the ongoing Delivery of the CCE Sector Strategy for SW China: Work with sector and consular teammates along with other colleagues to share information and support administrative requests. This will include taking meeting minutes, interpretation/ translation and data-keeping.
— Conduct research, analysis, and horizon scanning
- Develop an understanding of the needs and strengths of UK companies in doing business in China, build strong sector knowledge of the regions, and identify new trade and investment opportunities
- Identify key stakeholders and update regularly on changes/ shifts
- Concisely and confidently provide business briefings on political and economic trends as well as produce concise and insightful strategy reports for less explored sectors in SW
— Relationship building and management
- Support the Regional Head to ensure good quality and consistent communications with clients
- Ensure strong relationships and information sharing with partners/ stakeholders both internally and externally
- Network development through attending events/ trade shows, making new contacts to add to the trade and investment opportunity pipeline
— Generate and maintain databases, including key contacts and sector pipelines
- Using good knowledge of Excel, regularly update pipeline databases and other related spreadsheets to share within teams, using spreadsheets to filter, collate, and present results
- Discuss with team members to gain understanding of current contact lists and databases used and propose ways to consolidate and maintain existing lists
— Support for events and meetings
- Provide effective meeting support, including scheduling, coordination, minute-taking, follow-up
- Coordinate events/ activities, dealing with invitations, email send-outs, event registration
Essential qualifications and experience
- At least 2 years’ proven track record of success in a fast paced office environment.
- Proven track record of success in research-based work.
- Excellent communication skills. Fluent in written and spoken English and Chinese.
- Excellent IT skills, particularly MS Excel and MS Word.
- Conscientious and hard-working team player.
- Bachelors degree or above.
Desirable qualifications and experience
- Experience of working within government or association
- Clerical support experience
Changing and Improving, Collaborating and Partnering, Achieving Commercial Outcomes, Delivering at Pace
3 August 2017
Type of Position
Fixed Term, Full-time
Working hours per week
Starting monthly salary (CNY)
1 September 2017
Other benefits and conditions of employment
We offer a competitive package, which includes basic salary, good leave entitlement, and insurance plan etc. The gross starting salary for this position before all deductions is CNY 9,581/ month for Chinese Nationals and an abated monthly salary of CNY 13,103/ month for British Nationals and spouses/ partners (all nationalities) of diplomats who are ‘W’ (diplomatic) visa holders and meet passport criteria.
We also offer excellent development opportunities and a 22-day annual leave entitlement in pro rata.
Conditioned working hours is 35 hours/ week from Monday to Friday and flexible working can be arranged upon personal needs.
For more details on our Total Rewards Package, please visit our website
Staff recruited locally by the British Consulate-General Chongqing is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Chinese employment law.
All applications must be received before 11:55PM (China Standard Time) on 03 August 2017.
Incomplete application forms will not be taken into consideration, so please ensure you provide the information requested.
We regret to advise that we will only be contacting short-listed candidates regarding the next phase of the selection process. Applicants called for an interview will be assessed on the core competencies listed above.
To those applicants not short-listed, we extend our appreciation for considering the British Government as a potential employer.
For more information and to apply please click here