Job Description 职位信息
舍监助理 Assistant Housem
Line Manager: Head of Boarding.
Commencement of post: August 2021
Job Purpose: Reporting to the Housem, will provide support to Housems on pastoral care, manage parents’ communication related with boarding; manage day-to-day activities such as morning and evening roll-call, giving out and taking in electronic devices; organise and support boarding activities including weekend trips when needed; and provide a personal link with the house for parents and academic staff.
Key responsibility / Accountability
Core Duties and Responsibilities (shared with all house staff)
• To be aware of the National Minimum Standards for Boarding Schools, School policies and procedures, and School and house aims and objectives.
• To create an environment in the boarding house that is conducive to study and relaxation.
• To build and maintain positive and constructive relationships with students, in order to provide them with the best possible care and support.
• To play an active role in ensuring the students welfare and personal development.
• To ensure the safety of students and staff by maintaining accurate records, dealing appropriately with hazards, and reporting any problems.
• To build and maintain strong relationships with parents and guardians.
• To liaise effectively and professionally with other staff in school.
• To organise and run weekend activities for students in the house that complement the School weekends programme.
• To promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young persons by adhering to and ensuring compliance with the School’s Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy at all times. (If in the course of carrying out the duties of the post, the post holder becomes aware of any actual or potential risks to the safety or welfare of children in the School, s/he must report any concerns to the School’s Designated Person as soon as possible and, in any event well within 24 hours.)
• To promote good relations between the school and the general public, particularly with present and prospective parents and the local community.
• To undertake ongoing professional development by attending INSET sessions in School.
• In general, assistant Housems are responsible for the effective supervision of the students in their care at all times.
Main Duties and Responsibilities (specific to the role)
• To be resident within the house at all times during term time (excluding off duty time) and to report to the Housem. for the general welfare and personal development of all the boarders in the house.
• Support Housem. to ensure that the individual circumstances, needs, strengths and weaknesses of each student in the house are identified and known by staff as needed, so that individual opportunities, talents and potential are developed and maximised.
• Assist Housem. to liaise effectively with the appropriate Co-tutors and teaching staff to ensure that relevant background circumstances of students are known and discussed.
• Support Housems. to ensure that accurate and up to date records of students’ progress, welfare, health, emotional development, achievements and behaviour are kept; to provide termly reports and other such reports and references as may reasonably be required.
• Assist HsMs to ensure that the conditions and supervision of evening prep is conducive to effective academic progress. Assistant Housem. should attend relevant meetings such as Houses Meetings, Boarding Meetings, Parents meetings, Staff Meetings and other School functions including assemblies.
• To apply the school’s Behaviour Management Policy. A fair system of justice must operate within a House which is in line with the school rules and other Houses. Assist Housem. to foster an acceptance of the code of conduct of the House and School, and Housems & Assistant Housems must keep the School Counsellor and Deputy Head (Pastoral) informed in any cases of bullying, substance misuse and sexual misconduct.
• Support the Housem to ascertain where students are going at weekends, Exeats, Leave Outs and end of term and lists must be given to the Headmaster.
• Support the Housems/Tutors to liaise with parents and guardians over any overnight leave. This will only be allowed if the request is made in writing (letter or email)
House Support Work:
• Assistant Housems must work with Housems to check, as far as practical, on internal conditions in the House, to ensure student safety; e.g. bare wires, loose carpets. Report any issues to the Housems and Support Department, and ensure satisfactory fix of the issues promptly.
• Assist Housems to agree with the Support Department on a priority list of work and if Housems feel work should be prioritised earlier they should speak to the Support Department.
• Like the Housems, Assistant Housems should nurture good working relations with Domestic staff and ascertain from them any problems regarding student tidiness, cleanliness or manners.
• Assistant Housems should liaise with the relevant staff to ensure that students’ clothes and personal belongings are used appropriately and stored securely and tidily. They must also ensure that students treat the belongings of others and the fabric and furnishings of the House with respect.
• Boarders’ parents should be consulted whenever possible regarding minor illness, emotional stress, or a change of academic course. Students’ parents should also be notified over major disciplinary concerns.
• Manage parents communication related to boarding, assist Housems to communicate regularly with parents/guardians.
• Assist Housems to write a House Report on each student as requested
• Duty House staff take responsibility for supervision at the evening meal from 5.45pm.
• Deputize Housems whenever needed, such as on Housems’ one day off per week.
• “Evenings off” are not necessarily free – Housemastering is often required whilst a tutor is looking after the House
• Assistant Housems must be present in the House at least 24 hours before and after the end of each term
• Assistant Housems are expected to be on duty on the Friday evenings before half terms
• Support Housems to encourage pride in the House by supporting House and School events.
• Senior students should be encouraged to organise events themselves and House social events should be organised.
• Students should be encouraged to foster a collective responsibility and to be aware of difficulties and problems of others and to offer support and help for each other as is appropriate.
Health and Safety:
• Assist Housems to keep a regular, weekly, record of Health and Safety items and ensure prompt responses to matters relating.
• Assist Housems on Fire Drills and House Safety; Fire drills must be held twice termly, once with notice given.
• House staff are responsible for overseeing the health of students and to encourage a healthy lifestyle.
• Minor ailments can be treated in the by the School Nurse. In case of hospitalisation or students staying in the Medical Centre, very frequent liaison between House staff and nursing staff is vital. Parents should be informed by whoever it is agreed is appropriate.
Responsibilities at the beginning and end of Terms:
To support the Housem. in the following:
• Have knowledge of all entering the House after the holidays
• Make sure all have read and understood the House Rules and Expectations.
• Welcome all new boarders and show them their new room.
• Be available at the beginning and ends of the terms
• To foster a sense of house identity and spirit by encouraging active participation by every student in house activities and competitions, and by supporting such events as a figurehead for the house.
• To counsel students, at a time and place which is conducive to good communication, concerning any emotional, academic, social or behavioural problems they may have; to inform the Headmaster, Deputy Head and School Counsellor if any referral to outside agencies is required; to fulfil the requirements of the School’s policy on safeguarding children.
• To deal appropriately with any emergencies/crises. Support Housem. to prepare and assign each student to a dormitory comprising of others of a similar age, and to disseminate the information to all relevant parties.
• Liaise with the School Pastoral and/or Academic Staff regarding any new boarders or when matters that relate to the school life arise.
• Support the Housem. in ensuring that the house is prepared before the start of term and to ensure that it is left in order after the end of term. This will necessitate returning to School before the start of term and remaining after the end of term as necessary. House staff are expected to remain in the house until all pupils have been collected for the various holidays and breaks.
• To be available, as required, at specific times in the school holidays, such as results’ and INSET days.
• To perform any other key tasks which the Headmaster and Housem may reasonably assign.
• Previous experience of boarding (preferable but not essential)
• Able to work both independently and effectively as part of a team
• Confident and persuasive written and verbal communicator in both English and Chinese
• Excellent ICT skills
• Able to relate to students, parents and colleagues with empathy and sensitivity
The Assistant Housem. is expected to sleep in the house every night during term time, other than during time off authorised by the Housem.
The post holder’s responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young persons for whom s/he is responsible, or with whom s/he comes into contact will be to adhere to and ensure compliance with the School’s Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy Statement at all times. If in the course of carrying out the duties of the post the post holder becomes aware of any actual or potential risks to the safety or welfare of children in the School s/he must report any concerns to the School’s Designated Safeguarding Lead.
Criteria for Success
• Evidence of high standards of communication skills especially with young people and parents
• Evidence of working successfully in a relevant school context
• Actively supporting the ethos of Malvern College Chengdu.
岗位名称 舍监助理 Assistant Housem
所属部门 宿舍 House
直属上级 寄宿主任 Head of Housem
• 需随时保持准确的记录、并做到恰当地处理危险、及时的汇报问题以确保学生和宿舍 员工的安全，与学生 的家长和监护人建立稳固的关系；
• 若在行使岗位职责时，行使人意识到学校有任何对学生福利或安全有实际的或潜在危险的情况，须尽快将 此情况报告给学校的专门负责人；
Contact Info 联系方式
(028) 8252 9466 / 17364746897
Website 官网: www.malvernchengdu.cn
No.300 Yang Liu Avenue,Huayuan Town,Xinjin,Chengdu, Sichuan Province,P.R.China