The Department for International Trade (DIT) is a section of the British Consulate that supports and stimulates business between China and the UK. This role will focus on Life Science business opportunities in Southwest China. The objective of this role is to identify new projects, to manage ongoing projects,and to successfully complete projects, thereby contributing to DIT targets.
DIT Life Science includes six major sectors: Pharmaceuticals, Biopharmaceuticals, Genetics, Digital Health, Medical Technology, and Medical Devices. This role may involve a number of difference business models, including: export of UK Life Science projects (innovation and tools) into China, joint research and development projects, joint venture projects, distribution projects, and also Chinese investment into the UK Life Science sector, capital, or equity.
In this role, experience is essential. Experience may be academic or commercial, in any one of the six Life Science fields mentioned above. This role requires Life Science knowledge and Life Science contacts (preferable), and it also requires good research skills and ability to talk to customers. Candidates are expected to be able to work independently as well as in a team.
Through this role, the jobholder will have the chance to gain a broad understanding of Consulate work, in particular trade and investment projects. The jobholder will be involved in discussions about the DIT Life Science strategy and targets. He/ She will have a degree of autonomy to shape the role and project portfolio, and will also receive commercial and sector training and gain real experience of managing and delivering key projects. He/ She will be able to take ownership of their work.
This position is for a two (2) year, fixed-term contract.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Identify new business opportunities and contacts in Southwest China: Use research, initiative, and existing contacts to meet new customers and companies in SW China. Develop an understanding of customer capability, interests, and opportunities for collaboration and use this understanding to tailor business matching. Manage customers with care and diplomacy.
- Contribute towards building the DIT Life Science strategy: Carry out independent research on life sciences sector in Southwest China and synthesise information into appropriate formats for reporting.
- Manage a portfolio of Life Science projects: Independently manage a portfolio of projects as well as gain an understanding of the current projects in the team. Actively learn about how government interact with businesses. Discuss with team members to share ways of working with customers.
- Convert Life Science projects into completed deals: Set out a plan for expected volume of business as well as business milestones and goals, and work with team members and the wider network to identify how to successfully deliver deals. Report back on project progress on a regular basis and maintain records of business activity.
- Generate and maintain a database of key contacts: Gain an understanding of current contact lists and databases used and identify any lists that are out of date or are overlapping, and propose measures to consolidate and maintain existing lists.
- Work collaboratively with the CQ Consulate and the wider DIT network across China: Set up meetings with other teams with potential overlap of business interests and actively meet other staff in Chongqing and elsewhere in the China Network. Be open to new and innovative ways of contributing to the wider China network.
- Experience in the Life Science Sector – either commercial or academic
- Good communication skills and ability to manage customers
- IT skills, knowledge of MS Office applications
- Fluent in Chinese and English, both written and spoken.
- 2+ years working experience preferred
- Commerical/ business expereince
- Bachelors degree or above
- Experience of carrying out desk-based research is advantageous.
We are an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce, and valuing difference.
We offer a competitive package, which includes basic salary, good leave entitlement, and insurance plan, etc. The gross starting salary (before all deductions) for this position is CNY 15,903/ month for Chinese Nationals and an abated monthly salary of CNY 22,076/ month for British Nationals and spouses/ partners (all nationalities) of diplomats who are ‘W’ (diplomatic) visa holders and meet passport criteria.
We also offer excellent development opportunities and a 22-day annual leave entitlement in pro rata. Conditioned working hours is 35 hours/ week from Monday to Friday and flexible working can be arranged upon personal needs. For more details on our Total Rewards Package, please visit our website http://www.gov.uk/government/world/china.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy Beijing is subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Chinese employment law.
This position will include domestic travel and may also include the opportunity to travel internationally. The jobholder will be expected to and manage their own travel and subsistence expenditure in accordance with guidelines.
Interviews are expected to be held on the week of 16 January 2017. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted regarding the next phase of the selection process. To those applicants not short-listed, we extend our appreciation for considering the British Government as a potential employer.
The successful applicant will be required to complete internal security vetting procedures and obtain satisfactory UK security clearance before commencing in the position. The successful candidate will aslo be expected to start as soon as possible.