The British Festival is going to be celebrated! Below is an extract of message Gov UK has sent to the consulate team, which captures the main principles the festival is operating under and more detail on the sponsorship packages. A point that is equally valid for you is Cecille’s and my support in meeting with potential partners/hosts if that will help you in sealing the deal.
We want you to take the lead as much as possible in organising events and encouraging others to get involved. We want the festival organisation to be flexible and light-touch so we can focus on delivery – so if what follows sounds too rigid, happy to discuss with you the best way of handling. But as we are accountable for all events under the festival banner we need to ensure that the support you get and sponsorship received is consistent across all our partners (British Council, Welsh office etc). To achieve that, we propose:
- Third party events: You forward the pitch-book to your contacts and encourage them to consider hosting their own event. Those that want to should contact the consulate first (our first point of contact is Summer, cc’d) so that we can capture the information and/or arrange for the receipt of any financial sponsorship. We will then hand over to you to liaise locally in organising the event;
- Own events: provide us with the details of the event and offers of sponsorship, which will be received and held by the consulate. You will then provide a short business justification of how much you need from the sponsorship to deliver that event. This should include details of the cost of facilities/services you are providing, the amount of financial support required and why. This is so that we comply with the requirement to demonstrate that, as far as possible, costs have been shared (e.g. venue being provided as sponsorship in-kind, you covering some costs from ticket sales etc).
- QBP: same applies for event in Chengdu. That should be led directly by you and organised separately from other festival events, although one can be a part of it – e.g. workshop under festival leading into the QBP.
Remember: Cecille and me stand ready to meet with whoever to make an event happen (Cecille met yesterday with CQ FAO and has its full support). If a visit from either of us will help convince, remove an obstacle or clarify what we want to achieve and how we can best do that, then we are happy to kick down some doors.
The sponsorship packages adhere to the principles of:
- ‘Consulate’ means UK govt partners: For ease, reference to ‘consulate’ includes the British Council and Welsh government office.
- Quality over quantity: Festival objectives are to raise the profile of the consulate and its partners (e.g. CBBC, BCC) and present a positive image of the UK in being ‘open for business’. Better to do that through one event with a big impact than several average ones. We want to achieve more through others (i.e. ‘multipliers’) and not in leading on everything or organising events that are outside your core objectives.
- CG decision is final: On which event will be included in the festival and how a sponsor’s money is used. The CG will decide where sponsorship will be used and the level of a sponsor’s engagement in an event (e.g. may not allow opening speech at an event if it will mean too many speakers).
- Only work with those we know: The pitch-book is not to be sent to anyone and everyone but only those you are reasonably confident can deliver a high standard and not bring the consulate into disrepute. We must ensure that we only take sponsorship (money and in-kind) from those we are aware of and have some link with the UK. You should make clear that if a contact forwards the pitch-book to a third-party the consulate will make the final decision on whether to engage with that third party. No matter how well connected someone says they are, the CG’s decision is final.
- Sponsorship funds all festival activities: Money will be used to support the delivery of all events – sponsors cannot pick and choose which events they want their money to support. Funds will be distributed amongst activities based on project leads providing a business justification for financial support. This must show the activity, what support is already being provided and how the money will be used.
- Choice of events to actively participate in: The final list of festival events will be released on 28 April. At that time, sponsors can choose which of the listed events they want to actively participate in, which will be in accordance with the level of sponsorship paid for (e.g. if a gold sponsor I can request which event to give a speech at).
- QBP is special: Although listed as a festival event, sponsorship and participation in the QBP is a separate matter and will be decided upon by the CG.
As the UK’s national day celebration a QBP must do ‘justice to the dignity of the occasion’, so it can’t be exclusively commercial opportunities.
- If in doubt, ask! Outside of the specifics of the event you delivering, please don’t get stuck/waste your time trying to answer broader questions on the festival or sponsorship. Please refer to Summer and me. We will consult you as necessary and keep you informed of the action we have taken. This has two benefits: You can focus, focus, focus on delivering your event and avoid getting sucked into endless debates on what is on offer, to whom and why.
PLATINUM – CNY 40,000 (approx £4999
- Speech – a speaking opportunity (maximum 3 minutes) at a consulate led event in agreement with the consulate
- Increased invites for guests at 5 events (depends on size of event but sponsor will receive maximum 10% of available spaces)
- VIP meeting – private meeting for sponsor + 2 guests with CG and/or other senior attendees before event starts – maximum 5 events
- Prime location of advertising at consulate organised events(e.g. main entrance, large in scale) – maximum 5 events
- Exclusive promotional area at consulate organised events (e.g. own table/booth at consulate organised events) – maximum 5 events
- Own marketing material throughout festival – All events, including major exhibitions the consulate participates in (e.g. inclusion in UK booth/stand)
- Logo/brand details displayed (large size) at all festival events in a manner considered appropriate to the consulate
- Inclusion of logo/reference (large size) in all digital campaign material throughout festival
- CG hosted dinner at residence for one business event during 201
GOLD – CNY 25,000 (£2999)
- Increased invites for guests at 3 events (depends on size of event but sponsor will receive maximum 5% of available spaces)
- CG will reference sponsor in opening remarks/speeches – maximum 3 events
- Secondary marketing location at events (less prominent position than gold sponsors) – maximum 3 events, including major exhibitions the consulate participates in (e.g. inclusion in UK booth/stand)
- Access to shared promotional area for own material (table/booth with other silver sponsors at consulate organised events) – maximum 3 events
- Logo/brand details displayed (medium size) at all festival events
- Inclusion of logo/reference (medium size) in all digital campaign material throughout festival
SILVER – CNY 8500 (£999)
- Increased invites for guests at 1 event (depends on size of event but sponsor will receive maximum 2% of available spaces)
- CG will reference sponsor in opening remarks/speeches at a single event
- Access to shared promotional area for own material (table/booth with other bronze sponsors at consulate organised events) – 1 event, including major exhibitions the consulate participates in (e.g. inclusion in UK booth/stand)
- Logo/brand details displayed (medium size) – 1 event
The objective is raise our profile through working with multipliers. If someone wants to organise an event and have it promoted as part of the festival digital campaign then GREAT! In hosting an event, the ‘in-kind’ support we will provide will be:
- Promotion of event through the festival digital marketing campaign
- Assistance in widening the guest list (e.g. extending invitation to consulate contacts)
- Attendance of senior representative from the consulate
- Assistance in securing participation of senior local officials (decision on whether to offer this at sole discretion of the consulate)
The CG will review a request to host an event to ensure it meets the quality requirements, festival objectives and connection with the UK. Although not providing financial support, we need to determine the cost of that support and the event’s outcome. This is something Summer and I will do directly with the hosts; for example, if the Intercon hosts a British Food week we will speak with the hotel to determine the cost, how many people attended the week and whether the outcome was an increase in customers above and beyond what would be expected during a normal week.
- Sponsorship and general questions: Summer/Steve
- Digital marketing campaign: Sinba Nina
- Individual events: Whoever is the sector lead or lead dept – e.g. for an automotive event Lindsay will lead on organising or liaising with the hosts; Summer on handling the sponsorship; Comms team on digital campaign
- QBP (Chongqing) First point of contact is Sean with Cecille as the lead decision maker.
Please find the English version of the British Festival Pitch Book here.
Please find the Chinese version of the British Festival Pitch Book here.