The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. It values difference, promotes equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing its organisational capability. BCG welcomes and encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. It does not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. British Consulate-General promotes family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Main purpose of job:
The position is based in Chengdu and works remotely for the BCG in Chongqing reporting directly to the Deputy Consul General.
The role of the Sichuan Regional Outreach Officer is to maintain and strengthen links between the UK and Sichuan governments, companies, media, educational institutions and people; increase the UK understanding of political, economic and social issues in Sichuan and generate awareness of UK strengths. Sichuan is a vital and increasingly important part of the consulate’s work in Southwest China with the largest presence of UK companies and British nationals in the region. As the consulate’s sole representative in Sichuan, this is a demanding and high profile role, and the job holder will have the opportunity to interact with influential UK and Sichuan figures from a broad range of different backgrounds.
The successful candidate must be able to work independently and proactively, use initiative in seeking out and developing new opportunities rather than being directed to them. They will also need strong stakeholder management and communication skills (in both English and Mandarin Chinese) to build a wide network within Sichuan. They will need to understand and process a large amount of diverse information to be effective and be expected to provide insightful reporting on political and economic developments within Chengdu and across Sichuan.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Identify, research and facilitate opportunities for UK-Sichuan co-operation in line with UK objectives. Lead in the delivery of a broad range of activities working closely with consulate based colleagues in areas of political and economic analysis and reporting, climate change, education and science & innovation. Bidding for project funding from relevant British Government funds in support of these aims. Promoting the Chevening Scholarship scheme and maintaining contacts with alumni of the programme. (25%)
- Ensure the UK government has access to a wide range of influential figures in Sichuan. Building a wide range of contacts in the local government, media, business, academic and NGO communities. (25%)
- Arrange and support visits to Sichuan by BCG Chongqing staff, senior UK officials and business leaders and support as necessary senior visitors from Sichuan to the UK. (20%)
- Provide insightful, timely an well researched reporting on relevant political, economic and commercial developments. All sections in British Consulate Chongqing understand key developments in Sichuan. (25%)
- Management / Corporate Services – Self-administration (5%)
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Excellent / Highly Proficient in spoken and written English
- Native in spoken and written Mandarin
- Education: Graduate degree or equivalent professional experience/qualification
- Specific role experience: Knowledge of Sichuan and experience with local business and/or government
- IT: knowledge of internet research, Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Excellent networking skills, be experienced in relationship managing key clients
- An adaptable self-starter with enthusiasm and energy able to work alone as well as in a team.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven organisational ability
Starting monthly salary (CNY)
British National: RMB 33,762; Chinese National: RMB 25,913
Deadline of application: 19 July 2020
**This role is a Maternity Cover and the duration is 6 months
To read more details and apply on line, please click here